Hello fellow Children’s Writers and Friends,
I do hope you have had a wonderful Christmas with all the things that matter most to you. For me that’s family, friends, faith and peace all of which I was blessed enough to have in abundance. In fact it is in blessings that this post and year begins. A year which I plan to make my most creative and successful yet.
Children’s author Julie Hedlund, challenged participants of her 12 Days of Christmas for Writers series to post SUCCESSES (rather than resolutions) on our blogs this year. She believes the way New Year’s resolutions are traditionally made come from a place of negativity – what DIDN’T get done or achieved in the previous year. Instead, she suggests we set goals for the New Year that BUILD on our achievements from the previous one. I decided to participate in this Anti-Resolution Revolution! Here is my abridged list of writing related things I am proud of from 2017.
1. My short story Except for the Mouse was published in the Creative Kids Tales Story Collection.
2. I ‘placed in’ and received a critique for my Picture Book text This Book is NOT for You in Greenleaf Press Buds Competition.
4. I completed a Picture Book Masterclass with the Australian Writers Centre.
5. I have been more active in Writer’s Groups, both on and offline.
6. I was part of The Ten Penners blog tour which was both exciting and a great learning experience.
7. I entered more competitions on and offline than ever before approximately 12-15!
8. I have both given and received more constructive critiques than ever before.
9. That I have signed up for and started Jen Storer’s Scribbles Course which I’m enjoying very much.
10. I have signed up to attend KidLitVic 2018 and joined the Insider Group to prepare to make it an even more worthwhile experience.
11. I participated in Write On Con 2017 and signed up for 2018
13. I have taken over the FAW Eastwood/Hills branch website and am learning a lot and gaining some new technical skills.
14. I have written and submitted more than ever before.
As well as Successes Julie discusses learnings, needs, plans and several other ways to move forward to the best 2018 possible for yourself as a writer at this time. One of the areas which also spoke to me in the 12 Days of Christmas for Writers series and linked neatly with successes was Gratitude; being thankful for the blessings of 2017 and so I’ve added these below too.
I am grateful:
1. That I have met so many wonderful people both online and physically this year.
2. That I completed 12 Days of Christmas for Writers in 2016 and it helped set me up for last year.
3. That I have access to technology which makes it easier to be part of several writing communities.
4. For the generosity of other writers providing critiques and other services as well as the opportunity to win these too.
5. To be progressing on my journey to publication.
6. That my daughter and I share this passion and I may one day be able to help her on her own journey through the knowledge I have gained.
7. For supportive family and friends who always show interest in and often understanding of my writing dreams.
I hope you also have a happy, healthy, safe AND creative New Year,
Farewell fellow travellers
Savour the quest